1-1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, hulled & sliced
2 T. white sugar
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 pint heavy whipping cream
2 T. confectioners’ sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
1 (10-inch) angel food cake, cut in cubes
1/2 quart fresh strawberries, hulled & sliced
1. Mix 1-1/2 quarts strawberries and white sugar in a large bowl; gently mash strawberries with a potato masher. Cover and refrigerate.
2. Beat cream cheese in a bowl until light and fluffy; set aside.
3. Beat heavy cream in another bowl until soft peaks form; add whipped cream cheese and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Lift beater or whisk straight up: the cream should form a sharp peak that holds its shape.
4. Beat confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract into cream cheese mixture.
5. Layer about half the angel food cake in a large bowl or trifle. Spread a third of the cream cheese mixture over the cake and top with a layer of mashed strawberries. Repeat the layers, finishing with a final layer of the cream cheese mixture. Arrange the remaining 1/2 quart strawberry slices decoratively.
6. Chill until ready to serve.