Every year San Luis Valley Rural Electric Cooperative sponsors the Washington D.C. Youth Tour for high school juniors and seniors!
One student receives the "trip of a lifetime," an all-expense paid trip to Washington, D.C. in June. They will join more than 1,800 other high school students from towns in rural America to spend a week in the nation’s Capitol as part of the 2023 Electric Cooperative Youth Tour.
SLVREC will cover expenses for transportation (one way mileage reimbursement) lodging and food for the students during the trip. Students will be responsible for incidental expenses.
For further information please contact Jennifer Alonzo at SLVREC, 852-6660 or by email.
Eligible applicants must be:
- High school students* that are at least 16 years of age on or before the selected trip
- Dependents of parents or guardians that are members of SLV REC
*You must currently still be attending high school at the time of application. If you will have graduated during the summer of 2023, you are still eligible to attend the tour or camp.
Submit an essay (minimum length of 500 words) or a three-minute video covering the following questions:
- Why do you want to attend the Washington D.C. Youth Tour or Youth Leadership Camp?
- What are some of your hobbies, extracurricular activities, volunteer experiences or academic achievements that you would like us to know about?
- What do you hope to gain from this experience?
Essays do not need to be handwritten; we will accept word documents or pdfs as well.
Send us your completed application and essay/video by Jan. 10, 2023 either by email submission (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by dropping it off at our office, 3625 Hwy 160 W, Monte Vista. Mailed in applications will be accepted with a postmark date by Jan. 4, 2023 (P.O. Box 3625, Monte Vista, CO 81144).
Winners will be contacted by Jan. 19, 2023. Applicants will be judged on if the required questions were answered, overall content and grammar.